Digby County is named for the township of Digby which was named for Rear Admiral Robert Digby, who was dispatched to convey the loyalists from New York to Conway in the spring of 1783.
County Created : August 17, 1759
Annapolis Royal 1759 – 1837
Digby 1837 – present
Courthouse – Digby
Location: 119 Queen Street / Church Street
Built: 1908 – 1910
Style: Romanesque Revival
Architect: Leslie R Fairn of Halifax
Contractor: Joseph F Bent.
Description: The building faces east and is a two story red coloured brick and stone structure. The building is located on a low hill on spacious landscaped grounds. The building features castle-like rounded turrets, topped with a conical roof, at each corner. The building also housed the county council chambers and the courtroom features a two-tier public gallery and the scales of justice carved into a wood panel above the judge’s bench. On the north side of the courthouse is the wood frame jail.
Note: During construction of the courthouse, Eben Sabean was masonry supervisor, Crowe Brothers completed the plumbing and heating and J R Wilson completed the roofing.
N – Annapolis County
S – Yarmouth County
W – Bay of Fundy and New Brunswick
Photos taken 2018