Cumberland County is named for William Augustus, Duke of Cumberland, who was the third son of King George II of Great Britain.
County Created : August 17, 1759
River Phillip 1759 – 1831
Amherst 1831 – present
Courthouse – Amherst
Location: 54 Victoria Street East / Lawrence Street
Built: 1888 – 1889
Style: Neo-Classical and Romanesque Revival
Architect: County Building Committee
Contractor: Rhodes & Curry Company of Amherst
Description: The building faces southeast and is a two story sandstone structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the city centre, The entrance is marked with a broken moulded pediment supported by double pilasters and within is an arch over a deep set double doorway topped with a fanlight. On each side of the entrance are two straight topped rectangular windows decorated with rounded blind fanlights, each with a beautifully carved fan and rounded keystone arches. The second story has two windows topped with the same fan and keystone detailing. The other second story windows are topped with protruding carved triangular hoods and pediments. The courtroom is located at the southeast side of the second story. In 1960, a rear addition was constructed. The building was renovated in 1974. On the northwest side is the old jail.
Note: The first courthouse was built in 1831 and was destroyed by fire in 1887. During construction of the present courthouse, Robb & Sons completed the heating.
Provincial Court Courthouse – Amherst
Location: 16 Church Street / King Street
Built: 1905 – 1906
Architect: H E Gates
Description: The building faces southwest and is a three story red coloured brick and concrete structure. The building is located in the city centre. The roof line is flat. The building is named as the Maritime Block. The Provincial Court is located on the third story with courtrooms along the northeast side.
N – Northumberland Strait and Prince Edward Island
S – Kings County
W – Bay of Fundy and New Brunswick
Photos taken 2018