Antigonish County is named for the Mi’kmaq name meaning “the place where the branches are torn off by bears gathering beechnuts” nor “meeting place of five forked rivers”.
County Created : 1784
Antigonish 1784 – present
Old County Courthouse – Antigonish
Location: 156 Main Street / Court Street
Style: Greek Revival
Architect: Alexander McDonald
Contractor: George W Boehner of LaHave.
Description: The building faces southeast and is a two story wood frame structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the city centre. The southeast front has a central portico with four white coloured columns rising to a pediment at the roof line. Above the entrance is a fanlight. The building has high vertical windows. The roof is hipped. The interior has a large courtroom with balconies on either side. On the north side is the old stone jail.
County Justice Centre – Antigonish
Location: 11 James Street / Fairview Street
Description: The building faces north and is a one story brick, glass and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds to the south of the city centre. The north front has a central entrance with projecting glass section. The roof line is flat. The building is names as the Antigonish Justice Centre.
N – Northumberland Strait
E – Inverness County
W – Pictou County
Old County Courthouse
County Justice Centre
Photos taken 2018