Stephenville was named for Stephen Gallant or Stephen LeBlanc, both born in the town.
Location: Stephenville is located in the southwestern part of Newfoundland Island on St. George’s Bay.
Judicial District: Stephenville Judicial District
Courthouse – Stephenville
Location: 35 Alabama Drive / Carolina Avenue
Description: The building faces east and is a two story grey coloured wood frame structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the centre of Stephenville. and was originally constructed as the Mess Hall for the US Airforce Base. The east front has a recessed centre section. The building has north and south wings. The roof is hipped. The main courtroom is located on the north side of the second story and the smaller courtroom is located on the south side of the second story. The building houses the Provincial Court.
Note: The building was constructed during the period that the Ernst Harmon Air Force Base operated from 1941 to 1966.
Courthouse – Channel-Port Aux Basques
Location: Main Street / Reed Street
Style: Wood Frame
Description: The building faces east and is a three story wood frame structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the centre of Port aux Basques.
Photos taken 2019