St. John’s was named by John Cabot who sailed through The Narrows and into the harbour on June 24, 1497 which was St. John’s Day.
Location: St. John’s is located in the eastern part of Newfoundland Island along the Atlantic Ocean.
Judicial District: St. John’s Judicial District
Supreme Court Courthouse – St. John’s
Location: 309 Duckworth Street / McBrides Hill
Built: 1901 – 1904
Style: Romanesque Revival
Architect: William H Greene
Contractor: Samuel Manners Brockfield
Description: The building faces northwest and is a five story grey coloured granite structure. The building is located in the center of the city and is built into the side of the hill along the north side. Granite from Petites and winrock from Southside Hills were used in the construction. There is a large dark wood staircase on the fourth floor. The main courtroom is on the north side of the Duckworth Street level on the fourth floor. On the south Water Street side, there is a square stone clock tower on the southeast corner and a stone portico and steps entering the second floor level at the south entrance. The building was repaired in 1929 and 1955.
Note: Other contractors during construction of the courthouse were W G Ellis ( granite fro ) , Howard Lumber Company, Mr. St. Claire ( clerk of the work ) and J H Jost ( superintendent of work ).
See: The courthouse is one of two stone courthouses with the other courthouse located at Harbour Grace.
Provincial Court Courthouse – St. John’s
Location: 215 Water Street / Ayers Cove
Built: 1973 – 1975
Style: Modern Commercial
Description: The building faces northwest and is a nine story brick, glass and concrete structure. The building is located in the centre of the city.
See: Located in the city is the Newfoundland and Labrador Court of Appeal
Supreme Court Courthouse
Photos taken 1997