Location: 287 Duckworth Street / Cathedral Street
Built: 1860 – 1861
Description: The building faces nortwest and is a two story red coloured brick structure. The building was constructed as the Union Bank Building and is located close to the Courthouse. The building is constructed of brick with sandstone trim. There are high ceilings and arched windows. The roof line is flat. A small addition was added at the rear in 1892. In 1975 to 1976, the building was renovated to house the Court of Appeal of Newfoundland and Labrador.
Note: The building stands on the site of the first prison constructed in 1730 and was destroyed by fire 1in 1846. The present building survived the Great Fire of 1892.
See: The Court of Appeal is located in St. John’s.
Photos taken 1997