Harbour Grace was named after Harve de Grace ( Le Havre ), a city in France.
Location: Harbour Grace located in the eastern part of Newfoundland Island along Conception Bay on the Avalon Pennisula.
Judicial District: St. John’s Judicial District
Old Courthouse – Harbour Grace
Location: 2 Harvey Street / Cathedral Street
Built: 1830 – 1831
Style: British Colonial
Architect: Patrick Kough ( Keough )
Contractor: Local labour
Description: The building faces south and is a two story cut stone and wood structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the centre of Harbour Grace. The south front has wooden steps up to the second story with an east and west entrance. In the centre is a large arched windows. The building is rectangular being 63 feet by 33 feet containing a jail and jailer’s residence. The walls are four feet thick and the hipped roof is slate. In 1872 to 1873, the building was renovated. The architect was John Thomas Nevill, Inspector of Public Buildings. In 1894 to 1894, the Gaoler’s residence was built. The building was renovated in 1955 to 1956 by the Department of Public Works. A wall was built in 1976 to 1977 by the Department of Public Works.
See: The courthouse is one of two stone courthouses with the other courthouse located at St. John’s.
Note: The previous courthouse was built in 1807. The present courthouse was built by the people in the town.
Courthouse – Harbour Grace
Location: 33 Harvey Street / Kingswell Lane
Description: The building faces north and is a one story dark red coloured brick and concrete. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the centre of Harbour Grace. The building is rectangular and the roof line is flat. The two courtrooms are located on the south side. The building was originally constructed as a Federal Building and was acquired for use as the courthouse when the old courthouse was closed.
Photos taken 2019