Fogo was named after the Portuguese word meaning “fire”.
Location: Fogo is located in the north shore of Fogo Island which is located in the Atlantic Ocean off Cape Verde in the north part of Newfoundland Island
Judicial District: Grand Falls – Windsor Judicial District
Old Courthouse – Fogo
Location: Main Street
Built: 1907 – 1908
Architect: William Henry Churchill, Superindendent of Public Works
Contractor: Local Labour
Description: The building faces south and is a two story grey coloured wood frame structure. The front has a central slightly projecting section with entrance on the first story. The original design included two story protruding bays with hipped roofs on the main facades, large trim boards on the corners and around windows, and large mouldings and brackets at the eaves. This combination of quiet details resulted in a refined, respectable façade. The building is unusual in that it was designed with two main facades. The roof is hipped.
Note: The first courthouse was built in 1873.
Photos taken 2019