Corner Brook was named for the amalgamation of Curling, Corner Brook West, Corner Brook East and Townsite.
Location: Corner Brook is located in the western part of Newfoundland Island on the Bay of Islands at the mouth of the Humber River.
Judicial District: Corner Brook Judicial District
Courthouse – Corner Brook
Location: 82 Mt. Bernard Drive / O’Connell Drive
Built: 2008 – 2010
Architect: Shepherd Case Architects of St John’s
Contractor: Allied Construction Management Inc. of St John’s
Description: The building faces south and is a three story brown coloured stucco, concrete and glass structure. The building is located on landscaped ground to the south of the centre of Corner Brook. The first story has pillars with recessed entrance. The centre section projects from the building and has a large window on the second story. The roof is hipped. The building houses the Supreme Court Trial Division, the Provincial Court and the Family Court and is named as The Corner Brook Law Courts for Danny Williams.
Note: The Supreme Court in Corner Brook was housed in the Sir Richard Squires Building, a 10-storey Government Building to the south, from the years 1968 to 2010. The District Court, prior to its merger with the Supreme Court, was located on the 5th story of this building. The Supreme Court continued to travel on circuit to Corner Brook and its offices and courtrooms were located on the 6th story. The District Court merged with the Supreme Court in 1986 and subsequently occupied both the 5th and 6th stories. The cost of construction of the present Law Courts Building was $25,000,000.
Old Courthouse – Corner Brook
Location: 2 West Street / Main Street
Built: 1925 – 1926
Architect: J Melville Miller of Montreal
Contractor: William I Bishop Ltd.
Description: The building faces east and is a two story cream coloured concrete structure. The building is located in the centre of Corner Brook surrounded on the south and west by the Corner Brook City Hall. The east front has an entrance on the north side with large window on the second story. The roof line is flat. The courtroom is located on the southeast side of the second story. The building was named as the Corner Brook Public Building and is now a museum and archives..
Note: The cost of construction was $72,034.81.
Photos taken 2019