Saint John County was named for the Saint John River which was named by Samuel Champlain for St. John The Baptist’s Day when he sighted the river.
County Created : 1785 ( one of the 8 original counties )
Saint John 1785 – present
Courthouse – Saint John
Location: 10 Peel Plaza / Union Street
Built: 2010 – 2012
Architect: Gregory Murlock and EXP Architects Inc.
Contractor: Bird Construction Limited
Description: The building faces east.and is a three story dark red coloured brick, concrete and glass structure. The building is located in the centre of the city. The east front has concrete pillars with recessed glass walls. On the north side a tower rises above the flat roof line. On the third story is a glass section. The building has dark red coloured brick.
Old Courthouse – Saint John
Location: 20 Sydney Street / King Street
Built: 1826 – 1829
Style: Georgian Neo-Classical
Architect: John Cunningham of Saint John
Contractor: Robert Barbour ( stone mason )
Description: The building faces west.and is a three story buff coloured sandstone and igneous rock structure. The rectangular shaped building is located opposite King Square in the centre of the city. The south front has Tuscan Doric columns. The front entrance is recessed in a rounded arch. At the roof line is a pediment On the centre of the hipped roof is a cupola. The interior of the building has a circular stone staircase, with its three-story height, freestanding, cantilevered design, and wrought-iron railing.
N – Kings County
E – Albert County
S – Bay of Fundy
W – Charoltte County
Photos taken 2018