Madawaska County

Canada Courthouses / New Brunswick / Madawaska County
106P06

Madawaska County was named for the Maliseet or Wolastoqiyik who occupied the land along the Saint John River Valley or for “the land of the porcupine”.

 

County Created  :  1873

County Seat:  

Edmundston  1873 – present

 

Courthouse – Edmundston

 

Location:  121 Rue de l’Eglise / Chemin Canada

Built:  1978 – 1979

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Unknown

Contractor:  Unknown

 

Description:  The building faces southeast and is a four story red coloured brick and concrete structure. The building is a large commercial building located in the city centre and named as Carrefour Assomption. The windows are horizontal with horizontal aluminum panels between. The roof line is flat. The Superior Court and Provincial Court is located on the second story. 

 

Former Branch Courthouse – Grand Falls

 

286m18

 

Location:  425 Boulevard Broadway / Main Street

Built:  1957 – 1958

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Unknown

Contractor:  Unknown

 

Description:  The building faces south and is a two story red coloured brick and concrete structure. The building is located in the city centre. The east side of the building projects south and has long vertical windows. The roof line is flat. The building is named as the Dollard G Balanger Building. The building was closed and the office moved to Edmundston

.

Courthouses: 

N – Quebec and Restigouche County

E – Victoria County 

S – Maine

W – Maine and Quebec

 

 

 

0882q16

Courthouse

 

 

0881q16

 

 

0880q16

 

 

271m18

Superior Court

 

 

272m18

 

 

273m18

 

 

274m18

 

 

275m18

Family Court

 

 

276m18

 

 

277m18

 

 

278m18

 

 

279m18

Provincial Court

 

 

280m18

 

 

281m18

 

 

282m18

 

 

287m18

Former Branch Courthouse – Grand Falls

 

 

288m18

 

 

289m18

 

 

290m18

Photos taken 2006, 2016 and 2018