Portage la Prairie is named for the French word “portage” which means to carry a canoe overland between waterways between the Assiniboine River and Lake Manitoba and the word “prairie”
Location: Portage la Prairie is located in the south central part of the Province near the Assiniboine River on the south and Lake Manitoba to the north.
Judicial District: Central Judicial District
Courthouse – Portage la Prairie
Location: 25 North Tupper Street / Saskatchewan Avenue East
Built: 1894 – 1895
Style: Queen Anne
Architect: George Browne, Jr. of Winnipeg
Contractor: T M Beamish of Brandon
Description: The building faces west and is a two story buff coloured brick, limestone and concrete structure. The building is located on spacious landscaped grounds. The west front has a port cochere which extends from the main building. Above on the second story are three large arched windows for the large courtroom. Above is a wide pediment at the elevated roof line. The second story has a large central courtroom. Additions were designed by Samuel Hooper and “port cochere” on the west side was designed by Victor W Horwood. On the east side is the Provincial Gaol which is attached to the courthouse.
Note: The first court used the Blake & Wallace Hall which became the Portage Hotel. In 1879, John Duncan who was a carpenter, supervised construction of the first courthouse. The cost of construction of the present courthouse was $22,544.
Portage la Prairie Courthouse
Photos taken 2009 and 2013