Minnedosa is named for the Dakota Native American word “minduza” meaning “flowing water”.
Location: Minnedosa is located in the west central part of the Province to the south of Riding Mountain.
Judicial District: Western Judicial District
Courthouse – Minnedosa
Location: 70 3rd Avenue SW / 1st Street SW
Built: 1908 – 1910
Style: Queen Anne
Architect: Samuel Hooper of Winnipeg
Contractor: Charles Jeffrey of Portage la Prairie
Description: The building faces northeast and is a two story red coloured brick and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds on the southwest side of the city centre. The “L” shaped building has an arched entrance on the first story of the northeast corner with stone header above. The base of the building is course limestone. The first story is cream coloured limestone and the second story is red coloured brick. Above the entrance is a small pediment at the roof line. And with an octagonal brown coloured cupola above. The courtroom is located on the north side of the second story.
Note: The excavation and stonework were completed by J Edwardson.
Photos taken 2010 and 2018