Gimli is named for the Icelandic legend that all good and brave men, after death, go to Gimli Hnausa, meaning “uneven land”.
Location: Gimli is located in the south part of the Province along the western shore of Lake Winnipeg..
Judicial District: Eastern Judicial District
Courthouse – Gimli
Location: 95 First Avenue / Center Street
Built: 1998 – 2000
Description: The building faces east and is a five story glass and concrete structure.
Old Courthouse – Gimli
Location: 62 Second Avenue / Goldfields Drive
Built: 1914 – 1915
Style: School House
Description: The building faces east and is a two story buff coloured brick, limestone and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the city and is rectangular in shape with a central west wing. The centre section on the east front projects slightly and rises to a peak above the roof line. The roof is hipped. The building was constructed as a public school and was converted to a City Hall and as a Municipal Building of the Rural Municipality of Gimli. The courtroom / council chamber is located on the north side of the first story.
Photos taken 2019