Emerson is named for Ralph Waldo Emerson, who was an American writer.
Location: Emerson is located along the Red River in the southeastern part of the Province.
Judicial District: Eastern Judicial District
Courthouse – Emerson
Location: 104 Church Street / Winnipeg Street
Built: 1917 – 1918
Style: Neo-Classical Revival
Architect: John D Atchison of Winnipeg
Contractor: Gray & Davidson of Emerson
Description: The building faces north and is a two story red coloured brick and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the centre of the city. The north front has a high portico with four white coloured Ionic columns rising to a pediment at the roof line. The entrance is arched and framed with wood with a large window on the second story. The east and west sides have a centre section with brick pilasters dividing the windows and with wide pediment at the roof line. The roof line is flat. The large courtroom / hall is located on the second story. The building now houses the city offices and the Provincial Court
Note: The cost of construction of the courthouse was $38,000.
See: Eastern Judicial District has courthouses in Beausejour, Gimli, St. Boniface, Selkirk, Steinbach and Winnipeg.
Emerson Courthouse / City Hall
Photos taken 2010 and 2018