Dauphin is named for nearby Lake Dauphin, which was named by explorer Pierre Gaultier de Varennes, sieur de La Verendrye in 1741 in honour of the heir to the French throne.
Location: Dauphin is located in the west central part of the Province on the north side of Riding Mountain.
Judicial District: Dauphin Judicial District
Courthouse – Dauphin
Location: 114 River Avenue West / Sandy Street
Built: 1916 – 1917
Architect: J H Bossons of Dauphin
Contractor: Samuel Brown of Winnipeg
Description: The building faces south and is a two story red coloured brick, limestone and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped ground on the north side of the city centre. The south front has a large portico with four columns rising to a wide pediment at the roof line. The main entrance is arched with stone trim. There is stone trim above the windows. White coloured limestone forms the foundation. A wide cornice runs below the flat roof line. The main courtroom is located on the east side of the second story. There are two smaller courtrooms on the first story. On the east side is a modern red coloured brick addition.
Note: The cost of construction of the courthouse was $100,000. Cutler Brothers was awarded the plumbing contract.
Photos taken 2012 and 2018