Williams Lake is named for Chief William, who was chief of the Secwepenic tribe and whose counsel prevented the Shuswap from joining the Tsilhqot in their uprising against the settlers.
Location: Williams Lake is located in the central part of the Province.
Judicial District: Cariboo Judicial District
Courthouse – Williams Lake
Location: 540 Borland Street / 7 Avenue North
Description: The building faces south and is a four story concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds. The roof line is flat.
Note: The first courthouse was built in 1861 by Philip Henry Nind.