Vancouver is named for Captain George Vancouver, who was a British Royal naval officer and who explored the and charted the coast of British Columbia.
Location: Vancouver is located in the southwest part of the Province at the mouth of the Fraser River.
Judicial District: Vancouver Westminster Judicial District
Courthouse – Vancouver
Location: 800 Smithe Street / Hornby Street
Built: 1976 – 1980
Architect: Arthur Erickson
Description: The building faces northeast and is a seven story concrete and glass structure. The building houses the British Columbia Court of Appeals
British Columbia Court of Appeal
Provincial Criminal Courthouse – Vancouver
Location: 222 Main Street / East Cordova Street
Built: 1971 – 1974
Architect: Harrison Plavsic & Kiss
Contractor: Grimwood Construction Company Ltd.
Description: The building faces west and is a four story rectangular concrete structure. The façade is concrete piers and walls reflecting the cut stone with classical columns of the old courthouse at Robinson Square. The front has a recessed glass entrance rising three stories with projecting red coloured brick section. The fourth story has horizontal windows. The building houses the Provincial Criminal Court.
Old Courthouse – Vancouver
Location: 750 Hornby Street / West Georgia Street
Built: 1907 – 1911
Style: Classical Revival
Architect: Francis Mawson Rattenbury of Victoria
Contractor: McDonald, Wilson & Snyder of Vancouver
Description: The building faces northeast and is a three story grey coloured stone and concrete structure. The building is located on the landscaped grounds of Robinson Square and was constructed with Haddington Island stone and Nelson Island granite. The north front has a projecting portico with four columns rising to a pediment at the roof line. Along the fronr columns rise from the second to third stories dividing the recessed windows. A balustrade runs along the flat roof line. A large green coloured dome rises in the centre. The excavation was completed by Smith & Sherbourne. An annex designed by Thomas Hooper was added to the western side of the building in 1911 to 1914. The contractor was McDonald, Wilson & Snyder of Vancouver. The building is now occupied by the Vancouver Art Galley.
Note: The first courthouse was built by Thomas C Sorby in 1888 at the corner of Pender Street and Hamilton Street. In 1893, an addition was designed by N S Hoffers in 1893.
Vancouver Westminster Judicial District Courthouses:
Court of Appeal Chamber
Photos taken 1996, 2016 and 2017