Rossland is named for Ross Thompson, who was a miner who staked a claim in 1890.
Location: Rossland is located in the south central part of the Province.
Judicial District: Kootenay Judicial District
Courthouse – Rossland
Location: 2288 Columbia Avenue / Monte Christo Street
Built: 1898 – 1901
Style: Classical Revival / Romanesque
Architect: John James Bastion Honeyman of Glasgow, Scotland
Contractor: James Lawn and the Public Works Department
Description: The building faces south and is a two story buff coloured brick and concrete structure. The building faces south and was completed in 1901. The building sits on the side of a hill with landscaped grounds. Constructed of buff coloured brick over a stone basement, the building’s distinctive design incorporates projecting tower sections on all four corners, three of which are crowned by steep tile-clad pyramidal roofs. The south front has a central arched entrance with large arched window on the second story. There are timber beam ceilings and stained glass windows.
Note: The cost of construction of the courthouse was $38,500. W MacKenzie and J Hagan were the masons during construction.
Kootenay Judicial District Courthouses:
Photos taken 2016