Nelson is named for Hugh Nelson, who was the Lieutenant Governor of British Columbia.
Location: Nelson is located in the south central part of the Province.
Judicial District: Kootenay Judicial District
Courthouse – Nelson
Location: 320 Ward Street / Front Street
Built: 1907 – 1909
Style: Beaux Arts Chateau
Architect: Francis Mawson Rattenbury of Victoria
Contractor: W G Gillett of Nelson
Description: The building faces east and is a three story stone structure. The building has a high pitched roof, tower with conical cap, gables and paired windows. The southeast corner has a large square tower with a small round tower with conical roof rising from the second story. The east front has a large arched entrance with recessed doors. On the second story are three framed windows. The hipped roof is slate. Virginia Creeper vines cover the building. The building houses the Supreme Court.
Note: The cost of construction was $109,145. The architect, F M Rattenbury, also designed the British Columbia Parliament Building and the Empress Hotel in Victoria. The Contractor W G Gillett, who was Mayor of Nelson from 1906 to 1907, used Kootenay marble quarried from his own Kaslo site for the construction. He employed British Columbia Douglas Fir for the interior woodwork, and the roof was constructed of slate taken from the west coast.
Note: The previous courthouse was designed by A M Muir.
Kootenay Judicial District Courthouses:
Photos taken 2003 and 2016