Nanaimo is named for the Coast Salish word “Snuneymuxw” meaning “great and mighty people”.
Location: Nanaimo is located in the southwestern part of the Province on Vancouver Island
Judicial District: Nanaimo Judicial District
Courthouse – Nanaimo
Location: 31-35 Front Street / Chapel Street
Built: 1895 – 1896
Style: Richardsonian Romanesque
Architect: Francis Mawson Rattenburg of Victoria
Contractor: Beadbury & Hurst
Description: The building faces east and is a two story stone structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds along the waterfront. The exterior is grey coloured rough-dressed masonry and prominent round arched openings. The east front has a large square stone tower on each corner with steep roofs. The centre section is recessed with a large arched entrance on the first story. The second story has a row of five arched windows with raised peak above. The rear addition was constructed in 1957.
Note: The previous courthouse was designed by Elmer H Fisher and built by Harrison and Grant in 1887 at a cost of $4,255. The building was demolished. The cost of construction of the present courthouse was $35,000.
Nanaimo Judicial District Courthouses:
Photos taken 2017