Greenwood is named for the surrounding forests.
Location: Greenwood is located in the south central part of the Province.
Judicial District: Yale Judicial District
Old Courthouse – Greenwood
Location: 202 South Government Street / Deadwood Street
Built: 1902 – 1903
Style: Classical Revival
Architect: George Dillon Curtis of Nelson
Contractor: Smith Brothers
Description: The building faces northwest and is a two story red coloured brick and concrete structure.
Note: The building originally housed the gold commissioner’s office, the chief constable and the mining recorder, as well as the functions of the county and supreme courts. There are three jail cells in the basement, one of which was part of the original design. The City of Greenwood bought it to use as its city hall in 1953.
Kootenay Judicial District Courthouses:
Photos taken 2016