Courtenay is named for the Courtenay River, which was named after George William Courtenay, captain of the British ship HMS Constance.
Location: Courtenay is located in the western part of the Province on Vancouver Island.
Judicial District: Nanaimo Judicial District
Courthouse – Courtenay
Location: 420 Cumberland Road / England Avenue
Built: 1950 – 1952
Style: Art Deco / Modern
Architect: Henry Whitaker of the Department of Public Works
Contractor: Dawson and Hall Limited of Vancouver
Description: The building faces north. The building is located on landscaped grounds.
Note: The winning bid was $313,364 and the total cost of construction was $375,000. During construction the subcontractors were Ornamental Bronze Company, Ltd. of Vancouver ( iron ), O’Neill Company Ltd. of Vancouver ( tile and terrazzo ), Ernie Dann of Vancouver ( plastering ), Hudson’s Bay Company of Victoria ( flooring ), Brown Company Ltd. of Vancouver ( painting ), J H McRae Company Ltd. of Vancouver ( electric ), Nedley and Farwell of Courtenay ( plumbing and heating ), Millwork Company Ltd. of Vancouver ( millwork ) and Pacific Sheet Metals Work Ltd. of Nanaimo ( roofing and sheet metal ).
See: The contractor, Dawson and Hall Limited of Vancouver also constructed the courthouse in Penticton.
Nanaimo Judicial District Courthouses:
Photos taken 2017