Chilliwack is named after the native word meaning “as far upriver as you can go before having to switch to a pole”.
Location: Chilliwack is located in the southwest part of the Province along the Fraser River.
Judicial District: Vancouver Westminster Judicial District
Courthouse – Chilliwack
Location: 46085 Yale Road / Princess Avenue
Built: 2000 – 2002
Architect: Killick Metz Bowen Rose Architects Planners Inc. of Vancouver
Contractor: Van Mar Constructors Inc. and Weiler Smith Bowers Structural Engineers
Description: The building faces southeast and is a two story concrete and glass structure. The building is located in the centre of Chilliwack. The southeast front has a projecting centre section with three rectangular openings and rising to a pediment at the roof line. Behind the centre section are glass panel walls. On the northeast side is a large concrete column framing the main entrance. The roof line is flat. The building is named as the Chilliwack Law Courts and houses the Supreme Court and Provincial Court.
Old Courthouse - Chilliwack
Location: 9391 College Street / Victoria Avenue
Built: 1950 – 1952
Architect: C D Campbell, Chief Architect, Department of Public Works
Contractor: WDI Contracting
Description: The building faces east and is a three story red coloured brick, cream coloured stucco and concrete structure. The building is located in the centre of Chilliwack to the northwest of the courthouse. The east section is a three story rectangular shape with a central entrance and on the west side is a two story wing. The windows are horizontal. The roof line is flat. The building is being renovated for commercial use.
Note: The first courthouse was designed by F M Rattenbury and built in 1894 on the corner of Victoria Avenue and Yonge Street. The building was enlarged in 1914 and was destroyed by fire in 1951.
Vancouver Westminster Judicial District Courthouses:
Photos taken 2016