Wetaskiwin is named for the Cree word “witaskiwin-ispatinaw” meaning “the hills where peace was made”.
Location: Wetaskiwin is located in the west central part of the Provincer.
Judicial District: Wetaskiwin Judicial District
Old Courthouse – Wetaskiwin
Location: 4705 50th Avenue / 47th Street
Built: 1907 – 1908
Style: Classical Revival
Architect: Allan Merrick Jeffers of Edmonton
Contractor: D J McLaughlin of Edmonton
Description: The building faces north and is a three story red coloured brick structure. The north front has a large portico supported by two columns and two red coloured brick pillars rising to a wide pediment at the roof line. Above the pediment is a raised section on the third story. There is a stone pediment above the arched entrance and a fan light window above on the second story. The east and west wings have glass walls. The roof line is flat. The building now serves as the City Hall.
Note: The cost of construction of the courthouse was $80,000. This was the first courthouse designed by Allan Merrick Jeffers. Other courthouses designed by Allan Merrick Jeffers are located in Calgary and Fort Saskatchewan.
Courthouse – Wetaskiwin
Location: 4605 51st Street / 46th Avenue
Built: 1980 – 1982
Architect: Alberta Department of Public Works
Contractor: Ed Penner Construction Ltd.
Description: The building faces west and is a two story buff coloured brick, concrete and glass structure. The west front has a one story wing on the north side with the entrance. A triangular section is located in the centre and the south wing has horizontal glass windows on the first and second stories. The roof line is flat.
Note: The cost of construction was $3,677,907.
Photos taken 2013