Grande Prairie is named for the French words meaning “large prairie”.
Location: Grande Prairie is located in the northwest part of the Province.
Judicial District: Grande Prairie Judicial District
Courthouse – Grande Prairie
Location: 10260 99 Street
Built: 1978 – 1980
Architect: Field, Field and Field
Description: The building faces east and is a two story concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the centre of Grande Prairie. The entrance is located on the north side with a projecting one story section. The windows are horizontal and recessed. There are circular concrete towers along the north side. The roof line is flat. The building houses the Court of Queen’s Bench and the Provincial Court.
Old Courthouse – Grande Prairie
Location: 10032 100 Avenue / 101 Street
Built: 1955 – 1957
Architect: H A Henderson of Department of Public Works
Contractor: Poole Construction
Description: The building faces south and is a two story red coloured brick and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the centre of Grand Prairie to the south of the courthouse. The building is “L” shaped and the south front has a central entrance, There are vertical dividers between the windows. The roof line is flat. The building is now The Centre for Creative Arts. The cost of construction was $320,000.
Note: The court first met in private residences in 1911. In 1928, the first courthouse was designed by was D E MacDonald of Department of Public Works and the contractor was J L Arnett of Edmonton ( plastering ), Franklin Decorating Company ( electrical ) and H K Gordon ( plumbing and heating ). The cost of construction of the courthouse was $24,000. The building was similar to the courthouse constructed in Hanna. In 1955, a new courthouse was constructed and the old building was moved south across the street and converted as a library. The building was demolished.
Courthouse – Grand Prairie
Photos taken 2019