Fort Saskatchewan is named for Fort Saskatchewan which fort was established on the North Saskatchewan River in 1875 under the command of Inspector W D Jarvis of the North-West Mounted Police.
Location: Fort Saskatchewan is located in the central part of the Province to the northeast of Edmonton.
Judicial District: Edmonton Judicial District
Courthouse – Fort Saskatchewan
Location: 10504 100 Avenue / 105 Street
Built: 1979 – 1981
Architect: Patsula Architects Ltd.
Contractor: Bird Construction Company Limited
Description: The building faces southeast and is a two story white coloured concrete structure. The windows are horizontal and along the southeast side is a recessed porch with main entrance and wide pillars. The northeast side of the building rises to the second story. The roof line is flat.
Note: The cost of construction was $1,905,446.
Old Courthouse – Fort Saskatchewan
Location: 10104 101 Street / 101 Avenue
Style: Edwardian Classical Revival
Architect: Allan Merrick Jeffers
Contractor: Local trades and labour
Description: The building faces northeast and is a one story red coloured brick, stone and concrete structure. The building is rectangular measuring 32.7 feet by 48.1 feet and is located on landscaped grounds. The base of the building was constructed of local field stone and the upper stories were constructed with red coloured brick. The northeast front has a central entrance on the first story with recessed arch. A horizontal belt runs above and below the second story windows. The roof is hipped. The building is part of the Fort Saskatchewan Museum.
Note: Construction cost $9,384 and involved local labour and local trades including Bawden Brothers (plastering).
Photos taken 2013 and 2015