Fort Macleod is named for Colonel James Macleod, who had the North-West Mounted Police barracks named in his honour.
Location: Fort Macleod is located in the southwest part of the Province along the Oldman River.
Judicial District: Lethbridge / Macleod Judicial District
Old Courthouse – Fort Macleod
Location: 236 Chief Red Crow Boulevard / 2nd Avenue
Built: 1902 – 1904
Style: Clolonial Revival
Architect: David Ewart of Ottawa, Ontario
Description: The building faces north and is a two and a half story light red coloured brick structure. The building has horizontal bands of rusticated sandstone and a cross-gabled roof. The north front has a brick portico with large arch and recessed entrance. The courtroom is located on the second story in the centre of the building. In 1971, the building became the City Hall.
Note: The courthouse is the best preserved example of the territorial courthouses constructed by the federal government between 1888 and 1905. The building is also the only extant territorial courthouse built by the federal government in Alberta and one of the few buildings that remains from the period in which the Government of Canada administered the Northwest Territories. The building is the oldest standing courthouse in Alberta.
Provincial Courthouse – Fort Macleod
Location: 233 Chief Red Crow Boulevard / 3rd Avenue
Built: 1970 – 1971
Architect: David M Kehoe of Calgary
Description: The building faces north and is a one story red coloured brick and concrete structure. The north front has a central entrance with glass panels. The roof line is flat.
Note: The cost of construction was $2,632,896.
Photos taken 2013